Some interesting events you might consider going to:
- Every Tuesday there is the department-wide Earth Science Colloquium from 12-13.00. You get a free sandwich and drink outside NO C 60.
- Every Friday, we have the Geophysics Colloquium at 12 in NO C44.
- Every Friday starting from around 5.30, there is Friday Beer on G- or J-floor, depending on the weather.
- Consider joining the new Doctoral Retreat team 2019! (Check out the link) or any other association of VAME
- Don’t forget to try out a new or old sports at ASVZ.
- And finally, enjoy the beautiful fall in Zurich!
The Doctoral retreat 2018, this year held in the wonderful country of Liechtenstein, was a great success! The around 80 participants could enjoy outside-poster sessions, join interesting workshops on “How to deal with unpleasant tasks”, “Public outreach” and more as well as learn about space missions by astronaut Reinhold Ewald, about Switzerland’s sustainability and renewable energy plans by Guido Siddiqi and about the adventurous life as a researcher by Elvira Mulyukova.
Don’t forget to attend the VAME assembly today! We will talk about the future of our ERDW-library, the new initiative help!desk and some preliminary statistics on the doctoral student payment in our department. Any other topics you would like to discuss are welcome.
On June 22nd from 12:30 to 14:00 there is going to be another ETHics lunch seminar. Prof. Claus Beisbart, a philosopher of science, will give a talk entitled “On the precautionary principle”. Afterwards there is time for questions and group discussions.
We hope to see many of you in HGE42!
How altruistic is a scientific career?
On March 9 at 12:00-14:00 in CHN K77 there is going to be a lunch-seminar as part of a seminar series about science & ethics started last semester. A presentation will be given by Daniel Wünn/Stefan Riedener, both experts in the field of effective altruism, followed by an open discussion.